Thursday, May 3, 2012

Naa, I'm Good


I think a lot of people on weight loss journeys think in terms of “being good” or “being bad”.  “I was so bad, I ate _____”.  I wonder what this kind of talk does to our psyche.  Maybe nothing.  Maybe it’s just semantics.  But, even so, I am trying to stop myself from saying that I was good or bad.  Maybe I’ve made choices that made me feel guilty, but that doesn’t make me a bad person, or a failure.  My self-worth should be separate from my weight loss efforts. 

This losing weight thing is HARD.  There is a reason so many of us are out here.  If it was easy, we’d all be skinny.  We’re smart people, we know what we need to do.  Even though knowing is half the battle, doing is the other half.  But, struggling with the ups and downs of losing weight is better than not trying at all, right? 

I recovered from my little slump/pity party yesterday and tried to put things in perspective.  Even though I wish that just the *thought* of losing weight actually made me lose it, I know the truth is that this is not going to happen overnight.  Two or three days of eating well does not undo the prior weeks/months/years.  Patience, Grasshopper. 

The miracle isn’t that I finished.  The miracle is that I had the courage to start.  ~John Bingham

No comments: