Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Week 1 of SparkPeople Challenge

It feels like it’s been forever since I posted. Sorry about that. I’ve been really preoccupied with the challenge group on SparkPeople. One of the daily goals is to post to the group once every day, so it’s kind of time consuming to keep up with everyone else’s posts.

The challenge is going awesome. Today marks the start of Week 2, so I weighed in this morning to find a 5, yes FIVE, pound loss!!! I’m totally excited. I have been very diligently meeting the daily and weekly goals, so I really feel like I earned those 5 pounds.

The one thing that really frustrates me about the challenge is that there are several other people who have put in 90+ minutes of exercise every single day of the challenge so far. I seriously do not have the energy (or most days, the time) to work out that much. I almost don’t believe that they are really doing it. Or maybe they are counting activities that I don’t count as exercise. I have no idea. But, it just doesn’t seem realistic for the long term to me. I’m used to a 4-5 day per week workout schedule and I have always looked forward to and relished my rest days. But, I’m now realizing that there won’t be many rest days on this challenge. And, maybe this is a good thing. I mean, a challenge is supposed to push you out of your comfort zone, right?

Yesterday afternoon when I got home from work, I mowed our lawn. We have a push reel mower, so mowing the lawn is more of a workout than it used to be. It took me 50 minutes and I definitely was sweaty, so I counted that in my activity for the day.

I also realized that I have a 5 minute walk to and from the bus stop every day, which I have never counted as activity. This morning I thought, would I count it if I was on my treadmill instead of outside? YES! So, from now on, I’m counting those minutes.

No comments: