Monday, May 24, 2010

It's not the heat, it's the humidity...

So, yesterday, I had a planned 8 miler to train for the big 10 mile race this Sunday. Husband and I left the house around 7 to try to beat the heat – we did not succeed. It was so ungodly hot and humid out, I was massively uncomfortable. We did about a mile and I stopped and cried. “What if it’s this hot next weekend? I’ll never be able to finish…” We walked for a little bit and I got myself together and we ran again – this time for about a mile and a half before I called it quits. I decided I didn’t want to continue with the planned run and we went home. As soon as we got home, I did 2 miles on my treadmill. My legs felt fine and I’m not sore at all today, but the heat just exhausted me.

I can see now that even though I *thought* I was well hydrated, I was not even close. I just didn’t realize how vastly different running in heat would be – I mean, I thought it would be uncomfortable, but not debilitating.

There is a very good possibility that the 10 miler will also be humid – and I really need to make a plan for dealing with it. First, I really need to up my hydration starting now. I’ve been avoiding buying a belt to hold water bottles because I didn’t want to carry the extra weight on my run, but now I know I need to suck it up and do it anyway. I’ll fill the water bottles with ice water and Gatorade. Also, I think I will plan to run 2 miles, walk 1 minute, and run 2 miles, etc. Hopefully I can stay ahead hydration wise and have a successful run. I’m still nervous, but breaking it down into a plan really helps me feel more calm about it.

At my weigh-in this weekend, I was down! I’m soooo close to the 10 lb mark now. That was a really nice thing to see.

No comments: